For almost every breastfeeding mother there comes a time where they will likely need to use breast milk storage bags. Because your breast milk is so important for your growing baby, you will want to ensure you are using the best breast milk storage bags to meet your specific needs. Not all breast milk storage bags are created equal, it is important to consider some important factors, such as whether they are compatible with your pump, freezer and/or fridge storage capability, capacity, special features of the bag, and also affordability.
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon
Exploring the Best Breast Milk Storage Bags
How to Choose the Best Breast Milk Storage Bags
As an alternative to breastfeeding, using storage bags is a perfect way to keep your milk safe until later use. When you are shopping for the best breast milk storage bags, you should consider your needs and how the bag functions. From first time moms to those with many children at home, every mom wishes for the best for baby, and keeping breast milk at its freshest and safest is extremely important for baby’s health and well-being
Since you will be pumping to store your breast milk, you will need to consider the make and model of pump you are using and whether the breast milk storage bags you are purchasing will be compatible to hook up directly to your pump. Not all bags will work with all pumps which means you will need to pump into a separate sterile container and pour your milk into the storage bag. This extra step means you are risking spillage and loss.
Because you will have to keep your breastmilk in the fridge or freezer, depending when you will be using it, you will want to make sure it stores well for the required time. Some bags do not store in the freezer for extended periods. Also, some storage bags are bulky and take up a lot of much needed space in your fridge or freezer. This is important to consider when buying breast milk storage bags.
You may think more is better but that is not necessarily the case with breast milk storage bags. If you are only able to pump a little each session, then you won’t need a larger bag. It is not recommended to mix separate pumping sessions with each other so you will need a fresh bag for each round of pumping. This could mean a lot of storage bags in your fridge or freezer, so larger capacity may not be ideal for your situation. There are different sizes available on the market, so consider your own needs.
In order to gain your business, each company will try to offer something special about their storage bags. These features will mean different things to each mother, and will vary in importance depending on what is most fitting for your own lifestyle. Maybe you want a quick, easy to use bag or one that lays flat. These are various features you may encounter when shopping for the best breast milk storage bags.
This doesn’t necessarily mean look at the overall price and that means it is affordable. You should consider what you get for your dollar and if there is more value involved with each storage bag. Perhaps you will be willing to pay a little extra for convenience or for size. Affordability may mean you are getting more bags than with other brands, or it could mean they are most affordable for your pump. This factor is very individual to each mom, but should be taken into consideration when purchasing storage bags.
Best Breastmilk Storage Bags to Consider
The Kiinde Twist Pouch is so much more than a breast milk storage bag, it is one of the best breast milk storage bags. An adapter can be purchased, separately from the bags, and allows you to fit these storage bags to most major manufacturers breast pumps. The addition of a twist top cap means less spillage of your milk. Each storage bag will hold up to 6 ounces and is made of tough, thick plastic which is about as durable as a plastic baby bottle.
Even though these bags are only for single use, they are recyclable, so you won’t be adding to the landfill. Reusable Kiinde nipples can be purchased separately, and attach directly to the pouch, meaning a quick and easy transfer from the freezer or fridge to feeding—no need for bottles at all. The price is affordable, however, you only get 80 in a package at most, so if you are pumping frequently, you will need to purchase these frequently.
- Versatile with the purchase of an adapter to fit most breast pumps
- Twist top cap keeps breast milk sealed in tightly
- Quick and convenient to go from pump to feed with reusable nipples
- Mid-size pouch, holds 6 ounces each
- Holds up well in the freezer for extended periods
- Thick plastic is similar in durability to a bottle
- Pump adapter can be used to fit other brand nipples to the twist top
- Feeding directly from pouch reduces the air baby ingests
- Bags are self-standing and can also lay flat for easy storage in a fridge or freezer
- Other Kiinde accessories are available such as a storage system for the fridge or freezer.
- Affordable in actual price per box, however, the packages contain a maximum of 80 bags
- Need to buy separate accessories such as nipples and adapter to get full use and convenience
- If you are pumping large quantities, you will use more bags since they hold only 6 ounces
- Twist caps may make storage tricky since they require more space
- Measurements of milk may not be entirely accurate
Mommy’s Precious Breastmilk Storage bags have an easy to tear perforated label top which leaves a perfectly straight edge, allowing mess-free transfers from bag to bottle. Each bag will hold up to 8 ounces of breast milk and also lays flat for easy, space efficient storage in the fridge or freezer. The bottom of the bag is gusseted boasting a leak-free structure.
Each bag is also free-standing allowing you to have your hands free for milk transfers. Your breast milk is sealed in securely, since every bag features a double zip top seal. Mommy’s Precious bags are BPA free, Phthalate free and latex free. These storage bags are an affordable option and come in large packages of up to 110 storage bags.
- Each bag can lay flat for easy, space saving storage in fridge or freezer
- Health conscious since they are BPA, Phthalate and latex free
- Milk is sealed in tightly by a double zip lock top
- Easy perforated top leaves clean lines for easy, spill proof transfer of milk
- You can label the bag in the space provided at the top
- Very affordable
- Great for large capacity storage; holds 8 ounces
- Gusseted bottom is leak proof and allows bag to stand upright freely
- Does not connect to a breast pump; milk transfer is required
- Large size (8 ounces) may be too large for some pumping mothers
- Squeezing out excess air for storage can be tricky and may cause spillage
- Cannot connect a nipple for feeding; milk must be transferred to a bottle
- You will require a permanent marker to write on the bag
- Space for labelling is on the bag where milk is stored
Bonafide brand are amongst the best breast milk storage bags because these are built with a double zippered top to secure your precious milk and provide leak-free storage. Each bag holds up to 6 ounces of breast milk. A special feature of these bags is the added freezer burn protection for longer freezer storage without worry.
Bonafide Breastmilk Storage Bags are 100% BPA, BPS and latex free. The box of 110 bags includes a marker to label the upper portion of the bag. The label section is a perforated tab and will tear away once the breastmilk is to be transferred to a bottle. The perforation keeps a straight, clean edge and allows for mess-free transfer of your liquid gold. The box of 110 storage bags plus marker is very affordable.
- Affordable bags which include a marker for labelling
- Label ensures you are using breastmilk in proper order before it expires
- BPA, BPS and latex-free
- Freezer burn risk is reduced with added protection for longer storage
- Double zippered seal to keep milk safe and fresh as possible
- Can lay flat in the freezer for space efficiency
- The opening is smaller than other bags, making transfer a little tricky
- Bag holds maximum of 6 ounces, not ideal for extra large storage
- Perforation doesn’t always function properly, leaving a jagged edge instead
- Doesn’t attach to breast pumps or bottles
Lansinoh bags are definitely worth considering as one of the best breast milk storage bags available. They are 100% BPA and BPS-free and boast strong structure. The sides feature double reinforcement to prevent leakage and loss of breast milk. The double click ‘n’ secure seal is a patent and claims to have the most secure seal available and has a double color indicator to show the seal is in place. They hold up to 6 ounces of milk and can lay flat in the freezer or fridge for convenient storage and to save space. The bags can also stand upright if you wish to store them in the door of the refrigerator and for easy transferring of milk.
The label tab on the top tears away when you are ready to use the milk and you never have to worry about the marker chemicals seeping into the milk since the label is separate from the actual storage bag. Pouring your breast milk into a bottle for feeding is super easy since each bag offers a pour spout. There is an adapter available to purchase separately which allows these bags to connect directly to Medela breast pumps, eliminating transfer after pumping. Lansinoh Breastmilk bags come in a variety of quantities but all are affordable for a basic storage bag.
- Perforated tear away top when ready to use the milk
- Label section is separate from the actual storage back—no worry of marker leeching into milk
- Each bag features an easy to pour spout to help with mess-free milk transfer
- Can attach to Medela breast pumps with the purchase of an adapter
- Double seal zippered top locks in breast milk securely
- Affordable price range
- 6-ounce size doesn’t accommodate those with lots of milk production to store
- Sometimes measurements on the bag are inaccurate
- Won’t attach to all breast pumps, only Medela
- There is no way to attach a nipple for direct feeding
- Not the sturdiest storage bag for freezing purposes; sometimes they will spring a leak in thawing process
If spilling your liquid gold during the transfer from bag to bottle is the most worrisome, these bags will eliminate that fear. They boast a built-in spout to pour breastmilk directly and easily into bottles without spilling a drop. There is an adapter available for purchase which will allow you to attach these directly to most breast pumps. If you choose not to purchase the adapter, you can easily transfer your milk from your collection container because each bag has a wide opening. Each bag holds 5 ounces of milk and is super durable, even against puncturing while in the fridge or freezer. For space saving storage, these bags will lay flat and stack upon each other.
- Dedicated spout for simple, mess-free pouring into bottles
- Lays flat for simple, space effective storage in the freezer
- Each bag is constructed of heavy plastic for durability especially in the freezer
- Adapter is available to purchase separately to hook up to most breast pumps
- Wide mouth opening and zipper seal
- Space for labelling
- A little more expensive than most breast milk storage bags
- Only holds up to 5 ounces at a time
- Hard to tell if the zipper seal is actually closed since it is thin
- Doesn’t attach to a nipple for direct feeding
- Single zipper seal isn’t as secure as other bags
- Measurements on the bag aren’t as reliable as others
- May leak in the fridge if stored flat—better to be stored upright in the fridge
When it comes to finding the best breast milk storage bags available, you may get overwhelmed by the options. You will want to look for key factors when making your decision which bag to select, including the actual capacity of the bag, affordability, compatibility with breast pumps (and/or nipples), how well it will hold up in the fridge or freezer and any special features it offers to make your life easier.
The clear winner, for me as a mom, is the Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags. They are an affordable storage bag which still offer durability and protection of your precious milk. The double zippered seal has colors which give a visual confirmation that the bag is sealed tightly, which gives peace of mind. The reinforced sides provide leak-proofing like no other breast milk storage bag. The tab at the top for labelling allows you to keep your milk organized in the fridge or freezer too. The best breast milk storage bags are Lansinoh for keeping your milk safe until you need it and giving you the convenience of a disposable storage option.