How to Clean Carpet Flooring?
Nowadays, modern home interior design is very closely resembled to "Mid-Century Modern" interior designs. Some distinct features of these home design styles are - use of wood, leather, wool (carpet), metal, and textile – natural materials. Modern home design came to be for a simple rule: design is determined by a function that creates special house design patterns.
Now, the interior decoration of a house not only deals with walls and roofs, ceiling, also the floor is an important part to create an impression in the viewer's mind. Carpet flooring is very much in trend. The few things that are given importance are, your sense of style and your skills to connect different elements in a single unit. Any simple interior design idea should not be expensive or expansive. You only need to rely upon the right inspiration.
For flooring options, carpet and laminate floors are a popular choice. Both are almost the same as cost and of course cheaper than solid hardwood flooring. Both flooring types are similarly priced. Installation costs must also be considered, with the tongue-and-groove planks often found in laminate flooring making installation relatively easy and popular with the do-it-yourself (DIY) crowd. Carpet can also be self-installed but cannot be done so easily or alone.
Carpet flooring is a textile floor covering typically consisting of an upper layer of pile attached to a backing. In earlier days the lower part of the carpet or the pile was traditionally made from wool, but, since the 20th century, synthetic fibres such as polypropylene, nylon or polyester are being used often, just because these fibres cost less than wool. It costs $3-$11 per square foot to install the carpet floor.
There are primarily four types of carpet flooring available. Those are -
- Nylon - It is the most durable and stain resistant carpet fibre available when treated with stain protection. It is the best choice for homes with pets and children and for those who entertain a lot of guests. This type of carpet flooring is perfect for heavy traffic in hallways and stairs.
- Polyester - It is known for its luxurious looks, feels and wonderful selection of colours and styles. It adds good value to homes with a normal amount of traffic.
- Olefin - It is famous for being good stain and moisture resistor, but scores below nylon and polyester for resistance.
- Wool - It is really good-looking natural material. This type of carpet has natural soil resistance qualities but is not inherently stain-resistant.
If someone has kids, pets, and high traffic areas or entertain a lot of guests, they might want to choose a carpet with stain resistance properties. The desire to protect someone's home with quality stain resistance won't limit the choice of carpet styles and colours. Now, most of the manufacturers apply post-production stain protection treatments to enhance the natural stain resistant properties of any fibre.
Different types of stains can be found on the carpet floor. Such as -
- Grease stains
- Water-based stains
- Dried-in (water-based) stains
Stains on a carpet can ruin a peaceful atmosphere, while allergens and dirt can contribute to respiratory problems. There are several ways to clean carpet, depending on the nature of the mess, those are -
1. The room to be vacuumed
During Vacuum cleaning, any toys, papers or other objects needs to be picked up, so it could not cause any hindrance while cleaning thoroughly. The falling dust can only then be vacuumed up. Make sure to have a good vacuum cleaner.
2. Use a nozzle attachment to clean hard to reach areas
The edges of the carpet can collect dust easily, so it must be cleaned well. If furniture cannot be moved, use the cranny extension to reach under couches and other pieces to remove dust particles.
3. Vacuum both horizontally and vertically
This process can especially be helpful if someone has pets because it will remove dander and hair. First, you must clean the carpet forward and back then in the reverse direction.
4. Vacuum Regularly
It is recommended to vacuum at least once a week. If the carpet is visibly soiled with dirt or pet hair but isn't due for a cleaning, then it is not required to follow the rule of thumb and vacuum more often.
5. Rinse the Carpet
Using a fresh clean white cloth and water, soak up any form of soap by blotting the treated area. Do not soak the carpet with water as it may be absorbed into the pad beneath, leading to problems with mould and mildew. The area must be allowed to air dry completely. If it is a large stain or you used a large amount of water, run a fan or specialty carpet dryer next to the carpet to dry it more quickly.
Homemade Cleaners for Synthetic Carpets
- Detergent solution: Mix ¼ teaspoon of a translucent liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Joy, into one cup of lukewarm water.
- Vinegar solution: Mix one cup of white vinegar with two cups of water.
- Solvent solution: Use an oil solvent.
- Wet shampoo
- Dry Shampoo or Powder
- Injection-extraction with hot water
- The tufted carpet should not be rubbed, this could damage the carpet fibres or yarns and change the carpet structure.
It is necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle. To clean the carpet is important for both the appearance of your home and the health of the people who live in it, which ultimately makes them look better and feel softer for a long time. Installing carpet in your home can be quite an investment, so it is important to protect your investment by properly caring for it.